Snake Bite

Posted by Freddy on Jun-19-2010

Snakes, elongate legless carnivorous reptiles, found everywhere. Snakes are usually considered as venomous but it’s a false belief. All snakes are not venomous. Venomous snakes are found in all continents except Antarctica. Cobras and vipers are highly venomous and can be fatal. Snake bite is a defensive way to escape from other animals or human beings or to hunt their prey. A snake bite as the name says is an injury caused from the bite of a snake.

The effect of a snake bite can be disastrous and depends on a number of factors like species of snake, area of the body bitten; the amounts of venom injected and so on. Even a non venomous snake bite can cause injury due to the wound caused by their fangs. The bite from a non venomous snake should be treated immediately as it may also cause severe injury to the victim. Most snake bite causes minor pain or redness of the injected area. Usually, injury is caused in the areas that are exposed like legs and arms.

Doctors’ advice the patient to be calm and patient or else the blood pressure will increase. Un-necessary panic will only raise the pulse rate and blood pressure and moves the venom into the body faster. The victim should be kept as immobile as possible. In Ancient times death rates due to snakebites were large but nowadays the medical science has progressed so much that a snake bite is considered as a simple thing. It is good if one can identify the snake, if so the treatment will be easy as this does varies from species to species. Usually Rattlesnake, Copperhead, Cottonmouth Water Moccasin, and Coral Snake are considered as the most poisonous ones.

Immediate medical attention is much better than self medication. Simple Ayurvedic treatments for snake bites are yet to be known to the world. The treatment here also depends upon the species of the snake. Several medicinal herbs are available in nature which are made use of, and has proved to be more effective than modern medicines.

Add a comment